Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Engine longevity shifting @ 8500 - 9000 with 6 lb

  1. #11
    Inactive Member klintman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    319
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    how was the turbo dammaged in your mishap .

    ------------------
    99' GSR / JRSC @ 6psi
    -JR MAP & BTC
    -Walbro 342
    -Comptech exhaust & intake/icebox
    -Comptech/Koni coilovers
    -Mugen 22mm rear sway bar

  2. #12
    Inactive Member klintman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    319
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    gsrev , how did the the turbo buy the farm too ? did detritus blow out of the exhaust port ?

    ------------------
    99' GSR / JRSC @ 6psi
    -JR MAP & BTC
    -Walbro 342
    -Comptech exhaust & intake/icebox
    -Comptech/Koni coilovers
    -Mugen 22mm rear sway bar

  3. #13
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by klintman:
    how was the turbo dammaged in your mishap .

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    His intake valve broke off, when through the head, through the block, through the turbo...destroyed everything in its path.



    ------------------
    It's powered by GASOLINE damnit!!!

  4. #14
    Inactive Member GSRcaucAZN78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GSRev,
    Even if you did have a rev limiter it still wouldn't have prevented the miss shift. The rev limiter only cuts off fuel during up shifts, not down shifts.

    I did the same thing with my first GSR. Accidently down shifted to 2nd while doing around 90 mph. The tach was off the scale. Luckily I took it out immediately and there were no problems. I sold the car last year, but it's still strong.

    ------------------

  5. #15
    Inactive Member philo_si's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2001
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GSRcaucAZN78:
    GSRev,
    Even if you did have a rev limiter it still wouldn't have prevented the miss shift. The rev limiter only cuts off fuel during up shifts, not down shifts.

    I did the same thing with my first GSR. Accidently down shifted to 2nd while doing around 90 mph. The tach was off the scale. Luckily I took it out immediately and there were no problems. I sold the car last year, but it's still strong.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    He has an MSD 6AL with ignition rev limit and I believe he did the damage during a missed up-shift. Over reving during a down shift will not usually do the same damage as a WOT missed up-shift.

    ------------------
    If they can't dazzle you with brilliance, they baffle you with bullshit.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member klintman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    319
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i think i would have had a stroke if that happened to me gsrev . its nice to see your up and running again .

    so cuting the spark is a "soft rev limiter" . is fuel cutoff a "hard rev limiter" ?

    ------------------
    99' GSR / JRSC @ 6psi
    -JR MAP & BTC
    -Walbro 342
    -Comptech exhaust & intake/icebox
    -Comptech/Koni coilovers
    -Mugen 22mm rear sway bar

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, fuel cut can be quite dangerous... the preference is to only cut spark.

    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  8. #18
    Inactive Member gsrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The incident happened shifting from 1st to 2nd. It was just to violent from what I was used to with the blower. It's not so much that I missed the shift as it was that it pegged out so quick once the turbo was spooled I couldn't react fast enough. Two things on which I screwed myself. I was doing the tunning on the car while my builder drove it. I had not got the feel for the car at all. Secondly, I agreed to race someone under those circumstances. I had never driven a turbo car till that time. A built b18c1 @14 psi to start with might not have been the best choice. I can honestly say that it felt much stronger than my setup currently. Anyhow, I didn't have a rev limiter the revs came on soo quick in first gear that by the time I knew it my tach was past 9500 rpms. My ecu cuts fuel off but I was dumb enough not to set it where it needed to be, instead I figured I would have enough discipline to know to shift prior to 10500 rpms which was were it was at. Anyways.. By looking at the remainding valves I honestly don't think it was a floated valve. Stress cracks were visible where the head of the valve meets the stem. The valve that dropped (#3 intake) that was the place where it snapped. The valve played ping pong around my motor. Number 3 broke it up into several pieces, some went thru the turbo, completely destroying my exhaust wheel and housing, the other pieces bounced from #3 to #1 destorying the head in the process. Finally it rested inside the intake manifold ! It was certainly not a pretty site. Now I have an msd 6al. Although I have my rev limit set to 8400, I still manage to tagg it often enough to remind me I made the best investment w/ the 6al. 1st gear is just too violent. Scared the crap outta me at first cuz I didnt know that when the msd cuts the spark it make a several loud popping noises (that is considered a soft revlimiter !! ) But it does absolutely no harm to the motor.

    ------------------
    1992 Red Honda Civic CX Hatch Back street car
    B16a hybrid Drag Gen III turbo 9 psi - 12.215 @ 115.31 mph
    formerly w/ jrsc 11psi w/b18c1 - 12.58 @ 110.5 mph

    California Image Racing- Silver ALL MOTOR 90'CRX trailer queen
    best 1320 - 11.55 @116.9 mph
    Both powered by: SPEED PRO EFI

    1998 Super Sonic Blue Integra GS-R (completely stock now)
    With jrsc at 6psi best 1320: 13.78 @101.43

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Mr Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2002
    Posts
    1,097
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I once heard a "Wise" "Old" man put it like this, "RPM stands for Ruins Peoples Motors". I would just take the tried and trued precautions and def. keep some sort of "Soft" rev limiter in place.

  10. #20
    MouhadIb
    Guest MouhadIb's Avatar

    Exclamation

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GSRcaucAZN78:
    Anyone in here have their rev limiter removed? What are the short term and long term effects of shifting @ 8500 - 9000 rpms on a stock internal GSR motor with a JRSC @ 6lbs? What are the expected improvements in 1/4 times with shifts this high?

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    See, I told you Cliff... Dont f?ck with that rev limiter. Save yourself some money and headaches. AS you can see... you'll hear the same thing from the domestic peeps... Droppin a valve is NOT something that you want to deal with... Look at Alex's misfortunes?!!

    ------------------
    "En su vida, un hombre puede cambiar de mujer, sus opiniones politicas o su religion pero no su equipo de futbol." Adreano Galleani, Uruguayen poet.

    escuani
    C speedbanner

    [This message has been edited by MouhadIb (edited December 28, 2001).]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •